Friday, July 31, 2015

July 31 - of make believe impressions

Started this day by exploring my own backyard. Asakusa is tokyo's oldest neighborhoods and is a popular tourist spot , not only for the sensoji temple , but as much for the shopping street namiske surrounding it that lures tourists with fresh sembei( rice crackers ) , souvenir trinkets and of course Japanese sweets and fried snacks - I felt I was just inhaling calories there. 

Stopped at ueno, whose ikeburo arcade had a reputation for being the black market of all tourist goods. Also walked around the ueno park - which is the greenest , biggest parks in Tokyo. It was sweltering hot but the lotus pond was breath taking. And I envied the turtles who were cooling off in the water. 

Before I caved in to the temptation, I headed to odaiba - tokyo's Bay Area. The train journey itself there was stunning as we crossed through the rainbow bridge and saw stunning examples of modern architecture buildings as we whizzed past. After the mandated Statue of Liberty picture ( apparently the Tokyoites had put it up one year to celebrate the Japanese French and people liked it so much it became a permanent thing) , treated myself to some spicy tofu dish at monsoon cafe - south Asian fusion food. I'm Indian and it was too spicy for me - did I mention it was hot outside?? Anyways more walking around the aqua city mall, diver city where i indulged in a godiva ice cream cone, and The Fuji building convinced me why Tokyoites are said to eat and shop till they drop. My favorite part was Venus fort - the shopping mall was set in 17th century Rome with the lighting of the sky inside changing to reflect the time of the day. They also had an interesting Toyota showroom with all cars - past , present and future on display. And the obligatory tokyo's eye Ferris wheel dominating the skyline. 
Last but not the least  - the oedo  onsen. It was a mini village set in the edo era ( 6th century) with cute shops, games , restaurants and tea houses spread across. And they had a huge public bathhouse - separated by gender of course , with 13 different pools with varying temperatures and a wet and dry sauna, and finished up with a Korean scrub , massage and a facial. New born baby bliss!!
Back to the city in time for the last call at ten-itchi $$$$ tempura place in Ginza. A quick peek into how the rich and famous eat every day - the set meal was $150. I settled for ala carte - ordering a few vegetarian tempura on the table. It was fascinating watching the chef prepare the tempura right in front of you. It was light and crisp and melts in your mouth and I felt I could go on and on eating but at $10 a piece for an eggplant or a mushroom, my stomach quickly filled itself! 
Might be a more comfortable experience if I were not picking up the tab I imagine ;). But the experience was worth the price this once. Fell into a dreamless sleep the minute I hit the bed - walking the streets of Tokyo in summer did have its effects!

































No comments:

Post a Comment