Thursday, July 30, 2015

July 29 - of freedom and beach towns


Freedom at last - or so it felt like. Not being able to get around on my own had made it a bit stifling. Or I was in general restless to see the rest of Japan. In any ways, lasts through the morning for more weeding and an interesting exercise in ceramic work. And then back to the Shinkansen - my freedom ride to anywhere in Japan. Today, I headed straight for kamakura - the land of The Big Buddha and the beach. The big Buddha was every big as promised - was quite overwhelmingly touching. Went to another temple hasedara - where I saw goddesses for the first time in all my temple and shrine touring of Japan. Not sure if I missed them or they were missing - but am glad I am leaving with an unsexist view of Japanese gods. The temple had some great koi ponds and stairs to the top of the hill from where you could see all of kamakura. It was surprising how rural it seemed. 
Walked along to the beach and my impressions were confirmed. This wasn't a resort town by any means - a public beach with a few restaurants , bars and lounges. Mostly locals around - was probably a bit too hot for tourists I imagine. A little inland though, you could see lush lite vacation homes where the rich and the famous live. 
Headed to Tokyo where I would be spending the rest of my days in Japan. K'a house was a welcome change from horakuan. Got talking with 2 Belgian sisters exchanging horror stories about clmbing mt Fuji. And exchanged tips for rest of our travels. Must say I did not miss the tatami mats and screened windows as I lay sleeping on the comfy mattress and air conditioning. 























No comments:

Post a Comment