Wednesday, July 29, 2015

July 23 -of bragging rights

As I trudged along , cold , wet , miserable , I wondered for the millionth time - why did I so need to put myself through this? It was so easily avoidable. I knew I had no prospect of a beautiful sunrise over the mountain given the weather , and yet here I was in the middle of the night, working my way up mt Fuji to get to the top by sunrise.

Passed a few mountain huts, and one station after the other, until we were at the top and could see the first glimpse of light of the day. The rain did not give in for a little bit but it was good to get into the shrine at the top and thank the lords for our safe summit. A hot chocolate and a quick pic later, we started our downhill march trough the gravel and sand. Had paired up with a girl from hongkong, who was walking at my pace. We kept egging each other on until we made it down. 5 hours of my knees hating me every step along the way - but finally it was over.

Back to kawaguchiko station where I could finally change into dry clothes. And started my way towards Suzuka and my zen retreat for the next few days.

It was a very serene and peaceful place in the middle of nowhere. , nestled amongst huge cedar trees, mountain valleys and a lovely garden designed with much love and care. I felt my pace slow down 10 times over and after a cold supper, slept fitfully on the bedding on a tatami mat for 10+ hours. 


No comments:

Post a Comment