Friday, July 31, 2015

Aug 1st - of bittersweet endings

How time flies! Are my 3 months really up?Woke up with mixed feelings about it being my last day of vacation. Part of me was eager to get back home while a part of me was reluctant to be tied to a routine. After much deliberation, I decide to pass on the shiatsu massage - language and logistics being such a deterrent at times. Headed instead to kabuki-za, hoping to catch a single act. Turns out the kabuki theatre was closed today - just my luck. Anyways, decided to try my hand at making my own obinomoyaki. It was a bit arduous trying to find the place in the noon heat but was relived to get out of the sun, only to be seated in front of a hot plate for the next hour - which I cooked on as well as ate off! Was quite an experience and to add to it, the entire place was set next to a design gallery and was covered in beautiful japanican graffiti. Was a sight for sore eyes! Walked down omote-sando - the park ave equivalent of NY. And hopped on the subway to takashimaya department store. They say it's a must experience in Japan. 12 floors either various brand names, stores and boutiques. And the basement was full of all kinds of Japanese gourmet food and sweets you can imagine! This was the one day in the last 3 months where I did do enough shopping to carry out 3 big bags out of the mall. Though that did put a wrench I my plans of catching the fireworks next. Navigating 2 subway transfers and a 30 min walk during rush hour and dealing with a sea of people with 3 shopping bags was not an option. So I smartly decided to shop some more instead. Loaded up on some more goodies wand snacks and some sushi rice. And some last minute souvenirs. And off to the hostel to finish my leftover eggplant and soba noodle dish. Packed up and went to bed thinking 'this is it' - the end of my 3 month break from life. Now - it's back to life for the foreseeable future...





















No comments:

Post a Comment