Sunday, May 24, 2015

May 22 - way to Waitomo

And then there were two. That's what Waitomo means -
The second cave. Another trivia - the place was known as Bay of Plenty coz Captain Cook got a lot of help from the local Maoris here compared to Povery Bay.


In any case - signed up for the black river rafting. It was more like tubing and involved 2 jumps into the water. Tested my nerves surely. I was so stunned during the practice jump itself. But I went through it any ways. Was definitely nervous despite repeated requests to 'relax'. Wish I knew how to relax.

We scrambled , waded , squeezed through the caves ,  tubed some
Portions and I actually fell int the water too. But the glowworms in the caves were worth it. That and the human eel. Hope I get the pics but here's a couple of memories

Headed onward to Auckland later that evening - it was a bit of a culture shock - the big city fee, watch out for your electronic devices et al. Went out for a walk in there night towards the harbour - got a couple of good shots but there were not many people on the street. And a yelling drunk guy reminded me of SF and I felt at home ;)






Spent the second half of the day on the cave experiment- the stalactites and stalagmites limestone caves that are formed over million of years.

We went through a dark cave in a boat in utter silence with millions of glowworms on the cave ceiling glittering like diamonds overheard. Unfortunately no pics allowed here. 

No comments:

Post a Comment